The boom lifts are not just the regular cranes available. Designed to help operators to reach areas, they are quite handy during transport and construction operations. The lifts can get to difficult spots especially, those that have been hidden by an obstruction, making access slightly more difficult than the regular does. Boom lifts are quite flexible and can be adapted for operations in very tight and tricky situations. They are designed specifically to operate in difficult terrains.
Safety is an important consideration in operating boom lifts; operators typically, are required to attend a boom lift course and Rigger and signalman course before they are qualified to handle boom lifts. Boom lifts are available in ranging dimensions with different load carrying capacities. In addition, different models and variants can reach different heights, and some are more fitted to outdoor activities than indoor activities. The best choice for any user will be determined based on the needs and purpose intended.
CLASSIFICATIONS OF BOOM LIFTS
Boom lifts are available in different options. They are also classified by this diversity, which will be examined shortly.
1. ELECTRIC MOTOR OR DIESEL ENGINE: The lift can be powered in different ways, which could be by an electric motor, which means it is driven by a power source, or it is driven by a diesel engine; that is a mechanical engine that is powered by diesel. The two power sources have advantages and disadvantages, which might influence the choice of the user. The electric motor is more eco-friendly and noiseless while the diesel engine has a greater power output.
2. DIMENSIONS: Boom lifts are fitted with the specific load bearing capacity and the extensions, are designed with different dimensions. Picking the right choice would mean checking the dimensions of the boom lift, to see if the crane will be suitable for the size of the load it is expected to carry during usage and also to check if the crane can reach the height outreach determined.
3. AREA OF USAGE: Users have to check if the area of operations is outdoors or indoors. Electric boom lifts are ideal for indoor operations since they do not produce fumes and are virtually noiseless.
TYPES OF BOOM LIFTS
1. TRAILER MOUNTED BOOM LIFTS: As the name implies, the trailer mounted boom lifts are attached to a trailer. They are usually available in diesel or battery powered engines. The average height outreach is somewhere around seven feet. You can find it, attached to a small trailer during operations. It is quite flexible and best used in spacious workspaces.
2. TELESCOPIC BOOM LIFTS: The basic design of these boom lift includes a beam, which is telescopic. This means that it is very flexible and can move in different directions. Usually, the height outreach is up to about one hundred and thirty feet, far higher than trailer mounted boom lifts. It is ideal for use in sites, where the usage is outdoors, and operators have to navigate great heights, which might be tough to reach. On the average, the dimensions available are usually about 46 feet – 186 feet for the working height and a load bearing capacity that ranges between 227 kilograms and 340 kilograms.
3. ARTICULATING BOOM LIFTS: Ideal for working around and moving objects in sites where there is a lot of obstruction, also perfect for uneven terrains, this type of boom lift is quite capable. It is commonly adapted for use among landscapers, who work with trees or electricity workers who do repairs on utility lines.