Do you like working with machines and technical equipment? If you do, then a lorry crane operator could be the right career choice for you. ‘Lorry crane’, as you might know, is a local Singaporean term for a crane mounted on a lorry that is used for lifting and transporting cargoes. Elsewhere in the world, it is known as a truck crane or by other local names.
What are the requirements?
Because Singapore has a flourishing freight services industry, a trained lorry crane operator is always in demand. But first, you must pass the crane operator course conducted by an accredited training provider before becoming a registered crane operator.
To become a registered crane operator, you must meet the following requirements:
• You must be 21 years or older
• You must have passed the lorry crane training course conducted by an accredited training provider (ATP) and obtained the certificate not earlier than 6 months before applying.
• If you are 50 years or older, you must pass the medical examination.
• If you are a foreigner in possession of a work pass, it must clearly state ‘Crane and Hoist Operator’ as your occupation.
What is the application process?
If you meet the above requirements, then applying for lorry crane operator registration is a pretty straightforward process. You can either apply online or you can apply manually via SingPost.
To apply online, log into the Ministry of Manpower, Singapore Government website, upload all the supporting documents and pay a $20 fee. Your application will not be processed until you pay the fee. To apply via SingPost, drop your application along with all the required documents at the nearest SingPost venue. You will receive the result of your application by mail. If it is successful, you will receive a registration card which allows you to practice your trade anywhere inside Singapore.
What supporting documents are required?
When applying for crane operator registration, you must submit the following documents:
• Completed application form
• NRIC (both sides) or work pass (in the case of foreigners)
• Certificate of the Lorry Crane Operator course. The course completion date must not be more than 6 months prior to the application date.
• Identity card sized colour photographs. For online application, the photo should be in JPEG format. For application via SingPost, you should submit two photographs printed on standard photo paper. Photos printed on paper (using a printer) are not acceptable.
• Class 5 driving license
• If you are 50 or above, then a completed medical examination form.
Where can I get a lorry crane operator job?
Once you are in possession of the lorry crane operator registration card, you can apply for job with any cargo handling company.