Are you considering a career in the lucrative cargo handling industry? Training to operate a scissors lift would be pretty good idea. There is a high demand for qualified scissors lift operators in Singapore and it is likely that you will have very good employment opportunities. The pay is not bad either, which makes it an attractive occupation for many who prefer hands-on work. But first, let’s get to know a little about the job.
What does a scissors lift operator do?
The job of a scissors lift operator is to load and unload heavy cargo using a machine called a scissors lift. A scissors lift, if you didn’t know already, is a type of aerial platform that can be moved vertically up and down. It is made of a set of folding arms linked in a criss-cross “X” pattern, called a pantograph. The upward motion is obtained by applying pressure to the support at the bottom, which propels the arms vertically upward.
Do you need training and certification?
To become a scissors lift operator, you need to complete a scissors lift course conducted by an accredited training provider (ATP) and obtain a certificate. The training can last from one day to a few days and cost a few hundred dollars. If you cannot afford the fee, you may also be eligible for subsidy from the following:
• Workfare Training Support Scheme
• Skills Development Fund
• Productivity and Innovation Credit Scheme
What does the training course cover?
The scissors lift operator training course covers the following:
• Singapore Government regulations and legislations
• Scissors Lift Operator’s Code of Safe Practice
• Introduction to the machine: components, platform types, limitations of use, etc.
• Pre-start inspection and maintenance
• Learning to operate the machine, use emergency controls, develop spatial awareness, and deal with overhead obstructions
• Operating the machine in different weather conditions
• How to conduct ground inspections
• How to avoid overhead trapping dangers
Courses are available in English, Mandarin, Bahasa Melayu and Tamil.
At the end of the training, you will be able to do the following:
• Safely and correctly operate the machine in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and manuals
• Demonstrate an understanding of the relevant regulations and legislations, Operator’s Code of Safe Practice, and an understanding for the need of protective equipment.
Additionally, obtaining a BizSAFE Level 2 certification is also a good idea.
What is the registration process?
To become a registered scissors lift operator, you must meet the following requirements:
• 21 years or older
• Possess a relevant certificate obtained from an accredited training provider (ATP). The course completion date must not be not earlier than 6 months at the time of application.
• If you are 50 years or older, you must pass the medical examination.
• If you are a foreigner with a work pass, it must clearly state ‘Crane and Hoist Operator’ as your occupation.
You can apply for registration online or via SingPost with the following supporting documents:
• Completed application form
• NRIC (both sides) or work pass (if you are a foreigner)
• Identity card sized colour photographs. If you are applying online, the photos should be in JPEG format.
• Class 5 driving license
• Completed medical examination form (if you are 50 years of age or older)
The application fee is $20. Once you receive your registration card, you will be eligible to apply for the job with any company that is looking to hire a scissors lift operator.